For more information on the Explorer Post, contact your school resource officer.
Pasco Sheriff’s Office Explorer Unit 916 continued their winning ways recently, taking the second spot overall in the 2011 state Explorer competition in June in Ft. Myers. Link to 2011 competition results.
The unit is supervised by Senior Advisor Cpl. Doug Theodore and Cpl. Charles Keppel.
To join the Pasco Sheriff’s Office Explorer Post 916, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Must be 14-21 years old
- Must be enrolled in high school or possess a high school diploma or GED
- Must maintain a 2.0 grade point average in school
- Must not have a criminal record
- Must be mentally, morally, and physically fit
- Must attend three consecutive meetings as a visitor prior to becoming a member
- Must complete a formal membership application
- Must pass an oral board examination and a complete background investigation
The Pasco Sheriff’s Office Explorer Post 916 has been approved to assist Sheriff’s Office members during natural disasters such as hurricanes. The Explorer Response Team will be assisting deputies assigned to work at approved hurricane shelters.
The Explorers’ training included:
- A review of Sheriff’s Office General Order 46.1.1 regarding hurricane plans
- Attending a Red Cross Shelter training program
- Touring a local shelter to see how they are operated.
The program is voluntary and each parent approved their son or
daughter to participate.
Photo at left: Pasco Explorers participate in the Search and Arrest event during the 2010 state competition.