The Pasco Sheriff’s Citizen Academy is an exciting 6-week program that provides participants with an up-close and detailed look at the Pasco Sheriff’s Office and modern law enforcement. As a member, you will learn about the latest trends and procedures in law enforcement, as well as the duties and responsibilities of the various departments. You will also have the opportunity to participate in tours of various Sheriff’s Office buildings and ride in an agency vehicle with a road patrol deputy.
The Pasco Sheriff’s Office Citizen Academy meets two times a week for three hours. The program is 6 weeks long and there is no cost to participate, but seating is limited. For more information about the next academy class or for an application form, please contact Cpl. Alan Wilkett at 1-800-854-2862, extension 3376.
Participants at the Citizen Police Academy will learn various aspects of law enforcement and the Pasco Sheriff’s Office including:
- History and Role of the Pasco Sheriff’s Office
- Citizen Police Academy overview
- Understanding Marine Unit and Agricultural Unit
- K-9 Unit demonstration
- Tour of the Sheriff’s Office facilities including Land O’ Lakes Detention Center
- Overview of Crisis Management and the SWAT Team
- Overview of the Victim Advocates, Child Protective Investigations and Forensics
- Detention Bureau overview and Property Crimes
- Vice and Narcotics overview
- Sheriff’s Aggressive Driver Offender Watch Program (SHADOW car)
Upon completion of the Citizen Police Academy, participants receive a certificate of graduation and will be eligible to join the Sheriff’s Volunteer Corps.